Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lovely

This body of work was the end result of my last semester at Bryn Mawr College (in the Haverford College Art Department). I shot these using my 35mm Canon EOS and then hand-printed each of the images in a color darkroom in both 8''x10'' and 16''x20''. (The images shown below are scans of the prints). The 16"x20" prints were exhibited in a show I titled "Lovely" at the Fine Arts Center at Haverford College in May of 2008.


About the work:

I am fascinated by the decorating decisions that people make in presenting their business to the outside world and in turn how the outside world affects these presentations. Most storeowners choose to decorate their storefront so that customers can easily identify what products or services are for sale. Then there are others that are slightly more unique and obscure (which I find more interesting) that showcase things such as a diving skeleton or some somber plaid fabric that lead me to question what is actually for sale.

Something that I'm not sure that business owners realize is that the glass in their storefronts often alters their carefully designed presentation by offering what almost looks like a double exposure: the reflection from across the street. Some scenes, while interesting on their own, become entirely transformed by the interaction of the reflection and the items in the storefront. I find humor in these scenes, as well as something that is uniquely lovely.

Photobucket

Porky, 2008


Photobucket

"D&G Babes," 2008


Photobucket

Guinness Lips, 2008


Photobucket

Flores y Cerveza, 2008


Photobucket

Hello, 2008


Photobucket

Coquette, 2008


Photobucket

Stay Tuned, 2008


Photobucket

Di(e)ve, 2008


Photobucket

No Smoking, 2008


Photobucket

Plaid Patirotism, 2008


Photobucket

Be My Pet, 2008


Photobucket

Precious Porcelain, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment